Publishing Design - Project 2

20/5/2020 - 10/6/2020 (Week 6-Week 9)
Chan Qian Hui 0334447
Publishing Design
Project 2 - Book Design

INSTRUCTION



PROJECT 2 - BOOK DESIGN

After the visuals for our book is done, we move on to designing the layout of the book. We started out by choosing a grid system and typeset choice for the book


Layout Reference:




Grid System:

I explored some margins and grid system which I could use for the book design. I tried utilizing the Van De Graff system which we learnt in exercise but I decided to go for a reference I found from an interesting book layout. 

3 grid options:

 


Final Grid System:



Typeset:

I explored different combinations of serif and san serif typeface to find the suitable one for the book.



Final Typeset:
Heading: Bluu Next 
Body text: Univers 9pt
Subtext: Univers 7pt
Pull Quote: Compagnon 14pt

Layout Design:


Attempt 1:



Fig 1.0 Thumbnail of book design (first attempt)

Attempt 2:



Fig 1.1 Thumbnail of book design (second attempt)

Book Layout Design (without cover):




















Cover Design:


Fig 1.2 Cover Design Attempt 1

Fig 1.3 Cover Design Attempt 2

Final Cover Design:

Fig 1.3 Final Cover Design

Final Book Design Thumbnail:







Final Book PDF:

 


Final Book Link:
https://issuu.com/nekoimoutodesu/docs/issuu




Mock up

FEEDBACK

Week 7:

General feedback: Lecture video should not be embedded in eportfolio, it should be the lecture slides embedded including the summary and takeaways from the lectures. The  form and movement exercise should be thumbnails in PDF form including GIF video. Before leaping into designing of book, it is important to look at the existing references, analyse the grids and margins and create variations from it. We need to create 5 to 10 layouts 

Specific feedback: Mr Vinod said the layout looks boring and I should not include colours for now yet to look at the basis of formatting first. Unfortunately I could not show my actual work as the file was missing, so Mr Vinod could not comment much on it.


Week 8:

General feedback: Mr Vinod mentioned that after we have made sure that everything is done, all the layouts and text format are correct and proper, then only we can choose a colour to add into the layout. It is important to ensure that the colour should be subtle to support the layout and not overwhelm the layouts. While for the references Mr Vinod mentioned that the font size can be same as either body text size or subtext size.

Week 9:

Specific feedback: For the cover design, Mr Vinod mention that the cover should be visually striking and attention grabbing. The first few attempts which I did are still lacking and needs further refining. The 2 new design looks good but one of the artwork would be better if expanded to be larger.

Week 10:
Specific feedback: For the blog, I need to include the final thumbnail in PDF format other than just JPG version. I also need to have outline for the spreads and include a white border around the barcode. Finally I need to do a 3D mockup for the book since we are unable to print it out

REFLECTION

Week 7:

  • Experience - It was a pretty stressful week because all of our modules have started shifting from exercise to projects, the workload suddenly doubled and it is definitely taking a toll on us physically and mentally. I panicked really badly during class because my file suddenly went missing after I worked on it and I was not able to present anything for Mr Vinod.
  • Observation - I observed that all of us does not actually remember much about the formatting and basics of text in publishing design. Although we have learnt before in typography, but we did not practice it much in formatting large number of text thus we also quite 
  • Findings - I found out that due to the lack of our basics in formatting the text, we delayed the learning process of the class and stressed out Mr Vinod as well since we spent way too much in the going back the basics of formatting the text in InDesign.

Week 8:

  • Experience - It was a nerve-wrecking week since we got scolded pretty badly last week. For this week my work have been more cautious and I ensured that my file is backup-ed first and spent the time to make sure the text formatting is proper and correct first before moving into the design of the book.
  • Observation - I observed that most of us are still struggling with the design of the book. It is quite similar to the situation happened to us during the exercise process. Most of us are not familiar with the design and understanding of form and movement or the design placement of elements in a spread.
  • Findings - I found out that most of my classmates are quite scared and nervous of this module especially this project 2 actually. My friends are worried that they are not doing as well as they think or maybe they did wrongly but have no idea about it since we all lack of a simple understanding of how book format works.

Week 9:
  • Experience - This week was much more comfortable to work with compared to previous weeks since I sort of understand how to work around with the layouts already. I was pretty relieved with the outcome of the book although I think there is definitely room to improve but nevertheless I have learnt a lot through this project. 
  • Observation - I observed that the form and movement is clearer for me now that I have abit of experience in working with layouts. Although my applications on the form and movement is still quite simple but I can observe that I am slowly progressing at it. 
  • Findings - I found out that some of my friends have really interesting visuals but often have a similar repeating form in their layouts. I was surprised to find out that some of my friends struggle to complete or improve their work despite them constantly working on it.

FURTHER READING

Layout Essentials: 100 Design Principles for Using Grids (Design Essentials) by Beth Tondreau 




This book is a great read for those who struggle in working with grids. The book outlines and demonstrates basic layout and grid guidelines and rules through 100 entries including choosing a typeface, striving for rhythm and balance with type, combining typefaces, using special characters and kerning and legibility. Through this book, I learnt that adhering to certain layout and grids standards and principles which is important for any job from brochures, to annual reports, to posters, to websites, to publications. However, knowing how to bend the rules and make certain grids work for the job at hand takes skill.

Comments

Popular Posts