Packaging and Merchandising Design - Exercise


13/4/2020 - (Week 1- Week)
Chan Qian Hui 0334447
Packaging and Merchandising Design
Exercise

LECTURE NOTES

Lecture 2: How it evolved - Packaging Design

20/4/2020 (Week 2)



Lecture 3: Packaging Image & Imagery

20/4/2020 (Week 2)



INSTRUCTION



EXERCISE

(1) Mock Packaging

For our first exercise, we were tasked to create a packaging box and also dieline for 2 loose items(not bigger than 200mm). The 2 loose items which I chose were a cream jar and figurine. Although I was tasked to create the box, I did not have the materials to create the box so I had to resort everything digitally.

Product Analysis:

1. Cream Jar
Features: Cute, made with plastic, semi transparent materials
Target Audience: Female young adults


Fig 1.0 Cream Jar Product

2. Small figurine

Features: Cute looking, has its own stand, need to secure product in packaging
Target Audience: Character fans


Fig 1.1 Small Figurine Product

References:



Fig 1.2 Reference for packaging (cream jar)


Fig 1.3 Reference for packaging (figurine)

Sketches:

1. Cream Jar
Problem:
- Catches dust easily
- Heavy

Solution:

- Have a lid cover instead of fold to prevent dust from entering easily
- Have a tray inside to secure the product


Fig 1.4 Sketch for cream jar packaging

2. Figurine

Problem:
Packaging usually thrown out
- Packaging usually has another piece of plastic inside to secure the product (wastage of plastic)

Solution:
- Create a packaging that adds value to product
- Create a packaging that can display and protect the product


Fig 1.5 Sketch for figurine packaging

Die line:

1. Cream Jar Packaging Dieline


Fig 1.6 Dieline (cream jar)

2. Figurine Packaging Dieline


Fig 1.7 Dieline Inner box (figurine)
Fig 1.8 Dieline Outer Lid (figurine)

Mock up:

1. Cream Jar packaging

Without product:



Fig 1.9 Box isometric view Mock up (cream jar box)


Fig 1.10 Box top view Mock up (cream jar box)


Fig 1.11 Box side view Mock up (cream jar box)

With product:



Fig 1.12 Box isometric view Mock up (cream jar box)


Fig 1.13 Box top view Mock up (cream jar box)


Fig 1.14 Box side view Mock up (cream jar box)

2. Figurine packaging


Without Product:



Fig 1.15 Box isometric view Mock up (figurine)


Fig 1.16 Box front view Mock up (figurine)


Fig 1.17 Box side view Mock up (figurine)

With Product:



Fig 1.18 Box isometric view Mock up (figurine)


Fig 1.19 Box front view Mock up (figurine)


Fig 1.20 Box side view Mock up (figurine)

Animated GIF:

I was only able to create one animated video which is for the figurine packaging as the first packaging was difficult to animate and the end result looked unrealistic.

I could only animate the closing of the lid. I wished to animate the process of removing the product from the packaging but it seemed impossible as the animation turned out weird and rigid.



Fig 1.21 Animated GIF

Mock Packaging Exercise Submission:




(2) Playing Cards Exercise
For this exercise, we were tasked to create a standard poker card deck and also the box packaging with a concept. The concept which I chose was Retro, specifically retro gaming (8-bit).

Concept Moodboard:

- 8-bit style
- Retro arcade game
- Space Invaders & Galaga
- Gameplay based concept


Fig 2.0 Moodboard
Fig 2.1 Moodboard

Sketches Layout Process:



Fig 2.2 Sketches


Fig 2.3 Process of creating layout


Card Elements:
I created some of the elements myself since I could not find the ones I wanted.

Symbols:
Fig 2.4 8-bit Diamond, Club, Heart and Spade

Jack Queen King:


Fig 2.5 Jack Queen King

Layout testing:
Fig 2.6 Layout Version 1
Fig 2.7 Layout Version 2
Fig 2.8 Layout Version 3


Final Cards:




FEEDBACK

Week 1

Mr Shamsul were okay with my 2 loose items. For my loose item #1, he suggested me to have a tray inside the box to hold the product. He also suggested me to use a box board instead if paper board. For my loose item #2, Mr Shamsuk told me to be careful when choosing plastic as when I fold it, it might look smudgy and not very neat.

Week 2

Due to the circumstances that I am in, Mr Shamsul told me to just create the mock up digitally and photoshop the product inside the packaging. I was told to try to make it as realistic as possible also.

Week 3

Mr Shamsul said if I'm planning to change the icons I need to make sure that it works like the normal card icon with its differences in levels and also introduce it in the package. I was also told to lay out my sketches and compare it with the normal shapes and see which best fits. For the design of the back of the card, I was told to include the elements and not the literal arcade machine. besides that, I should only limit to 4 games as reference in the card design only to not make things too complicated

Comments

Popular Posts