Brand Corporate Identity - Project 3

21/4/2020 - 19/5/2020 (Week 2 - Week 6)
Chan Qian Hui 0334447
Brand Corporate Identity
Project 3 - Brand Positioning

LECTURE NOTES


Lecture 4: Brand Positioning & Brand Personality
5/5/2020 
For this week's lecture miss talks about the guidelines to build an ideal brand. By using positioning statement and brand personality to know what brand are we and differentiate own brand from others.



INSTRUCTIONS



PROJECT 3 - BRAND POSITIONING


Week 1 - Self-discovery
We started out our project by choosing 3 jobs which we wish to do other than designers. It can be as weird as possible and different from regular jobs. We laid out our choices in a excel sheet and chose the one we wanted to work on.



The brand which I chose to further work on is a divorce lawyer. After deciding on it, I did further research on my target audience and the job position itself to understand it from the point of a brand.


Initial Research of brand positioning




Final Presentation




FEEDBACK


Week 2:
Specific feedback: The 3 career options are interesting and can be chosen. The robot consultant may require fictional writing to support the career so I may have to look into that aspect if I wish to choose that. The divorce lawyer is pretty interesting and can work on but I need to have some brand value for my customers as I am working in a service based industry. The name for the divorce lawyer also need to be changed to make it less staightforward approach, but remain the literal meaning I intented to have as a common name is less memorable. 

Week 3: 

Specific feedback: Miss suggested that I need to further elaborate more on the brand as well as it helps me to better visualize my idea. If I wish to add another brand personality or characteristic into it such as sarcasm, I need to have research about it and see why I want to include in it. I need to rationalize why divorce lawyer needs this certain kind of humour, does it appeal to the target audience and what is the state of mental when they enter this trouble? Does the couple want to approach this problem less formal, in a informal or easy way? Miss also said that I can look in other ways maybe a more professional name or a formal name for my brand.

Week 4: 

Specific feedback: For my brand positioning, miss said that the value of "affordable" can be put into consideration but it would be better if I can put in the brand voice that I am much more comfortable with. I can look into brand personality that will support my brand positioning and have a positioning statement that guides my brand direction. Other than that, miss said for the name options, number 3 can be further refined as right now the rationale which supports it is still not very strong. I need to ensure that my brand is not confused as a wedding company as well


Week 5: 
Specific feedback: Miss commented that now that I have put myself in the customer's point of view, I'm starting to have a better direction in what I want to achieve and do as a brand. For the brand values, I should come up with descriptive sentence to further explain about how the brand value work in my brand since it is still very vague. While for my brand name, I can look into the extensions of law firm names such as "Associates" or "Partner". The brand message would be better if I combined it into one short sentence as my core message. For the colour, miss mentioned that she thinks the green and pink palette suits my brand image better since it's refreshing and also trustworthy looking. I can also include interior design of my office to further support my brand image.

REFLECTION


Experience:
In the beginning of the module, I was really blur and not knowing what my brand is actually heading towards since the brand that I am going for is not commercially marketed and advertised unlike other products or services. It is a much more challenging brand in my opinion and it took me a lot of trial and errors to finally know what am I trying to go for.

Observation:

I observed that initially my brand have been revolving around me and not my customers or clients. I've been trying to form a "unique" brand by bringing in personalities or commercial marketing ideas but it does not work with my brand at all as I have a totally different target audience and business field in the beginning.

Findings:

Throughout the project, I found out a lot more about how a brand actually works. I understood a lot more about how the objectives and brand story should be able to connect and eventually serve back to our clients. I realized that a good brand has a clear objective which will lead to a clear brand direction and guide where the brand is trying to achieve.

FURTHER READING

Building Strong Brands by David Aaker




In this book, the author, David Aaker uses real brand-building cases from Saturn, General Electric, Kodak, Healthy Choice, McDonald's, and others to demonstrate how strong brands have been created and managed.

Comments

Popular Posts