Publishing Design - Project 1

15/4/2020 - 20/5/2020 (Week 1-Week 6)
Chan Qian Hui 0334447
Publishing Design
Project 1

LECTURE NOTES



INSTRUCTION



PROJECT 1

Content Generating:

We were asked to come up with 3000 words on any topic that we liked. The write up needed to have at least 3 chapters and we were also assigned to identify the pull quotes and subtext. 
Here is my 3000 word write-up:

 


Visual Reference:
For the visual that I initially wish to go for is a more watercolour art and flat style. I changed my visual to a more perspective based type of illustration as I wanted to convey the story from different point of views for the readers.
Fig 1.0 Visual References

Colour Board:

I wanted to create a more emotional story, a story where the illustrations can connect with the readers and not overpower the focus on the book. So the colours I went for are softer and not very vibrant to enhance different moods for different parts of the story.
Fig 1.1 Colour Board

Sketches:

Fig 1.2 Sketches

Illustration progress:


Attempt 1:

I could not decide on one style so I created 2 different artwork, one is digital painting on photoshop and one is digital illustration on illustrator.

Fig 1.3 Attempt on Photoshop

Fig 1.4 Attempt on illustrator

Fig 1.5 Attempt on Photoshop

Fig 1.6 Attempt on Illustrator

Attempt 2:

I realized that my original artwork was not very well done and the style is not consistent as well. Thus I decided to change my art style completely to suit the mood of the story better. I decided to stick to illustrator since I don't have a wacom so drawing on Photoshop with mouse would be too time consuming.

Moodboard & Colour: 

For my second attempt I wanted to go for a more simple look by utilizing a simple yet striking colour palette and also simple geometric shapes and textures to form the art. I wanted to emphasis on the much more lonely vibe of the story and introduce a different perspective to enhance the storytelling.

Fig 2.0 Moodboard Attempt #2


Thumbnail for 16 visuals:

Fig 2.1 Thumbnail of final artwork

Final 16 Visuals for book:
Fig 2.2 Final Artwork #1

Fig 2.3 Final Artwork #2

Fig 2.4  Final Artwork #3

Fig 2.5 Final Artwork #4

Fig 2.6 Final Artwork #5

Fig 2.7 Final Artwork #6

Fig 2.8 Final Artwork #7

Fig 2.9 Final Artwork #8

Fig 2.10 Final Artwork #9

Fig 2.11 Final Artwork #10

Fig 2.12 Final Artwork #11

Fig 2.13 Final Artwork #12

Fig 2.14 Final Artwork #13

Fig 2.15 Final Artwork #14

Fig 2.16 Final Artwork #15

Fig 2.17 Final Artwork #16


Final PDF for visuals:



FEEDBACK

Week 2:

General Feedback: 
My Vinod told us to highlight the text which we want to illustrate on, underline the pull quote and add a superscript on the subtext. He also told us to focus and choose our style for illustration properly as it needs to come out well in the book. The visual is important as it is impact and creates the look and feel for the entire book. The illustrations should be consistent in style and have 3 levels of intensity. The size should also be double of the book in case if it needs to be cropped.

Specific Feedback: 

Mr Vinod suggested me to reduce my chapters into 3 only as it might be hard for me to layout when I work further. 

Week 3: 

Specific feedback: For my art style, Mr Vinod suggested me to use softwares like adobe draw or procreate if possible to draw my illustrations. I still need to explore a bit more on the textures and methods of drawing but Mr Vinod also gave us some illustrator brush tools to assist in our project. Overall Mr Vinod advised me to try to create a little more dynamism in my composition with perspectives and such.

Week 4:

Specific feedback: Mr Vinod I can try stippling effect to assist my artwork but it may or may not work. I was told to work faster as I am still at the stage of experimenting and exploring, I need to fix on one style and find better angle and composition for my artwork. Mr Vinod encouraged me to push more than what I am comfortable with and try to find more excitement in the artwork.

Week 5:

Specific feedback: Mr Vinod commented that my new choice of colour is much more exicitng and better. For the shadowing of character, the colour does not have to be solid black but a darker tone of blue. For one of the layouts, the points are too sharp and I need to break it off, the shadow on the character is also a bit weird and overall looks lacking. While for the eyes illustration, I can try using different texture of brush of each eye so there is a slight varying texture in eye and each individual eye would be different.

Week 6:

Specific feedback: Mr Vinod commented how he liked the illustration for the sea waves by creating a pattern. He said that I should implement more of those patterns into other illustrations but in a subtle manner. He also commented that the hair of my character should be fixed properly. Overall it was a good turnaround.

REFLECTION


Week 2:
  • Experience - I was slowly getting used to the online classes already. Although I struggle quite a bit to find papers and also book references to help me with my exercises, I do feel much more reassured with Mr Vinod's suggestions and feedbacks on our work. I am quite anxious as I still think that I am not able to focus well and perform in my best possible condition. 
  • Observation - I realized that my friends are really good with their literature skills and able to come up with interesting titles for their project. Besides that, I observed that my classmates were also able to catch up to the exercises quickly while sometimes I feel quite slow and tired trying to work on all the assignments.
  • Findings - I found out that I was focusing a lot lesser and due to that I ended up comparing a lot with my classmates. It was a serious problem that I used to have when I was in typography class as everything was unfamiliar to me. I don't like how this problem came back again and I wish to get some reassurance about this entire situation that I am stuck in.

Week 3:

  • Experience - Although I am still worried about my work, I am slowly starting to focus on whatever I can do now and understand what I need to do instead of comparing with my friends. I started working harder and take more time to know what I want to do and using my friend's work as benchmark to push myself to work harder.
  • Observation - I noticed that I was focusing less this semester because I often get distracted easily as I am home. I also can't seem to progress much in my work due to procrastination.
  • Findings - I found out that there are actually a lot of resources on pinterest to help and assist us in our works. Sometimes a really good work can be very subtle to the eye, and sometimes a visually good looking work may not be as good as we think it is.

Week 4:
  • Experience - For this week as we start to work on the visuals for our book already, it was hard to take out time for exercises as there is quite a lot of things to handle at one time. I personally enjoyed the form and movement exercise as I thought it was pretty interesting.
  • Observation - I observed that many of my classmates use bold and complex shapes for their form and movement exercise, their layouts are usually much more filled and have different elements in it. 
  • Findings - I initially expected my exercise to not be very good as it was very simple and plain compared to the work my friends have so I was surprised when I got positive feedbacks from Mr Vinod regarding my form and movement exercise.

Week 5:

  • Experience - I realized that I am now taking lesser time to do the layout for form and movement ever since I have a rough grasp on what the exercise aim is. I hate to admit that I still felt that my layouts are way too simple and plain compared to my friends but I really enjoyed the process of seeing the transition of the shapes
  • Observation - I observed that my classmates are struggling on the form and movement exercise as they can't seem to understand the meaning behind the exercise. It took me a bit of analysis and understanding as well in the beginning to grasp the purpose of exercise.
  • Findings - I started notice that transition of the spread can actually be done in a very abstract way as long as there is a point of connection between the two spreads. The point of connection should be stronger if there are larger changes in the transition while the point of connection can be subtle if the change is not drastic.

Week 6:
  • Experience - For this week it was pretty hectic as we not just had to rush for our project 1 but we also had to complete the exercise which makes it pretty stressful. Thankfully my classmates decided to have a online session to do our work together before class and that helped me to stay awake to complete my work.
  • Observation - I observed that the presence of others when I do work actually helps to keep me work better and longer. Although it may not apply to everyone but I think having a group of friends to do work together makes the process more fun and less stressful.
  • Findings - I found out that in the form and movement exercise, whenever we introduce a new element we must ensure that the new element is not overwhelming or overpowering the original element. The original transition should be prioritized first and the add ons are just like additional sprinkles.


FURTHER READING

Picture this by Molly Bang





The book Picture This teaches on how basic shapes and elements that make up a picture tells a story. Using the tale of Little Red Riding Hood as an example, the author uses boldly graphic artwork to explain how images--and their individual components--work to tell a story that engages the emotions. How and why are diagonals dramatic, why are curves calming, why does red feel hot and blue feel cold? It teaches the reader how to properly utilize the basic elements of art such as colour and shapes to tell a story.

Comments

Popular Posts